Sunday, January 4, 2009

Excerpts from things school related...

so we have to keep a journal for school and post our thoughts online...here are a few thoughts from my journals...


soo…I have been thinking a lot about this mission statement, and something Thomas Friedman said in The Lexus and the Olive Tree really struck me. Lets just say I absolutely LOVE this book by the way and would recommend it to everyone. Anyhow, back to the point. In the first chapter (I would mention the page number, but I think we may have different books), he states, “I am a globalist. That is the school of thought to which I belong…I am not a realist…I am not an environmentalist…I am not a technologist…I am not an essentialist…and I am not an economist.”


And it’s funny, but when I read that I thought…I want to be that...I want to be a globalist. I want to be that type of person that is ALL of those things rather than just one. I want to be someone who is knowledgeable in politics, culture, national security, financial markets, technology and the environment, and the ways each of these dimensions effects globalization and is affected by globalization.


One of my roommates is doing her pharmacy rotations at Harborview, and she is working in the international clinic. Just a few days ago she came home with a great story. She was telling me about the patients she had seen that day, what countries they were from, different cultural customs, and the importance of familiarizing yourself with these customs. For instance, she was saying how various patients had suction marks on their stomachs and arms, and how this was a common practice to ward off the bad spirits that were causing their ailments. In this situation, it is important for her to do her research on the country that these people come from and their cultural customs, in order for her to prescribe the appropriate medicine. I of course proceeded to tell her about one of the books I am reading for school…The spirit catches you and you fall down, and she went on to tell me that she already read it for pharmacy school.


So…I want to be a globalist. I want to work in an international setting or with an international population. I want to do something that forces me to be knowledgeable about another country and culture…that forces me to be knowledgeable about the world.


I want to be a globalist…have I said that enough? But what does that mean as a Christian…what does that mean to me…Malia Buskirk. I want to be someone who thinks outside of this American box, who accepts and embraces the beauty of cultures, identity and customs that are different from my own. I want to be someone who knows what is going on in the world…that seeks out new and true information. I want to be someone who is hopeful and sees the possibilities in change and transforming nations through awareness of global and even national issues.


It always amazes me whenever I go abroad how little I know about my own country, about my own politics, about other countries. I feel like non-Americans know more about America than most Americans (now I know I am completely generalizing, but please excuse me for a moment!) Now why is this? And non-Americans know more about the happenings in the international community than most Americans. I want to change this…but where do I start?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So last night Children of the Nations had their annual banquet at Shilshole Bay Beach Club…my fiancĂ© Peter works there and the organizations headquarters is located in my hometown. Anyhow the theme for the night was LOOK AT ME NOW! There were children and young adults who came all the way from Malawi to tell us their stories, to sing and dance for us, and all of it was simply wonderful. But it was just so amazing to hear their stories…to hear where they were emotionally, spiritually and physically before the assistance from COTN and where they are now because of the organization and their sponsor. Look at them now…they are being fed, they are being educated, they have a family and a community where they feel they belong, but more importantly they have Jesus!

Such an amazing theme for the evening…and I just kept thinking how that is everyone’s theme for their life. When we welcome the Lord into our lives we are transformed emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually…and we too can say LOOK AT ME NOW! I think so often we forget to acknowledge how our lives have been changed and we forget to see how far we have come.

Also, it was so amazing seeing these people who had traveled so far from Malawi to share themselves and their country with us Americans. They have traveled to a strange land…with strange food, strange people =)…and a busy schedule, but they are here and they have traveled here just to tell us that the work Children of the nations does is making a difference in lives…and especially their lives.

I am reminded that I TOO want to make a difference. My heart was so full last night and the call on my heart so very heavy. I know the Lord has plans for me and Peter…and we both truly feel those plans involve working with Children of the Nations, and perhaps moving to another country. The tears were streaming down my face and I just wanted to cry out to God and just ask Why…I don’t understand…I simply don’t understand Why I get so emotional when hearing these stories. I don’t understand why my heart longs for a place I have never been to…it is truly unexplainable and I have peace because I know the Lord knows…He has an explanation and I am reassured and my soul is at rest.


No comments: