Sunday, January 4, 2009


RESPONSIBILITY.

So one of our final assignments for my globalization class was to write once again about the book the Lexus and the Olive Tree. In the final chapters of the book, Friedman writes about the responsibility Americans have in this global world to act, and this is my response to that responsibility ...

I have become much more aware of the inevitability of a global world, after reading The Lexus and the Olive Tree. The theme in the final chapters of the book was that we can't stop this global system; no one can, so we all must find a way to work within the system. In this new era of globalization Friedman calls us to a new level of responsibility. In The Lexus and the Olive Tree, he stated, "As the country who benefits most from global economic integration, it is our job to make sure that globalization is sustainable and that advances are leading declines for as many people as possible, in as many countries as possible, on as many days as possible" (p. 352). In order for globalization to be sustainable and in order for everyone to start to benefit from the system, the big powers within the system need to step up and assist the smaller powers. America should be the leading force behind this change and transformation because as Friedman stated, "We have the tools to make a difference and we have the responsibility to make a difference" (p. 352).

Seeing as the United States is the country that benefits the most from globalization, Americans have a tremendous responsibility to act. Americans must find a way to help those who aren't fully able to benefit from the system due to their lack of democratic development, software and an operating system. This may mean coming alongside countries and standing beside them until they too can stand on their own two feet, or this may mean assisting in the creation of programs within a country that will be sustainable and global. America was created for the globalization system – this system was created for America. The American culture and the global culture are deeply intertwined and it is difficult to address one without the other. It is easy for Americans to adopt and incorporate the globalization system into their lives. Globalization has permeated throughout this country and seeped through the closed doors and windows, truly as if it were water.

The American culture, values and lifestyles are everywhere. However, the values and lifestyles of other countries are not in America, it is not a mutual reciprocation. I remember when I was in Ireland, speaking with some college students about American music and American TV shows. They were able to get their hands on the latest American pop culture and they were able to watch the majority of American TV shows. They were astonished when I told them that we didn't have Irish TV shows in America or Irish music. In Lexus, Friedman stated, “What bothers so many people about America today is not that we send our troops everywhere, but that we send our culture, values…and lifestyles everywhere” (p. 312). We may send our culture everywhere, however we don’t' accept and embrace the cultures that are sent our way. We have stood by as our culture and values have permeated throughout the world, yet we have been hesitant to accept and embrace values of other countries.

With increasing global connectedness people are becoming more globally aware. It is essential for people to become more aware because our lives are connected, and we rise and fall together. If one falls we all fall. Therefore, people have a desire to become more knowledgeable about the world around us. With my own life, I try to fully embrace and accept values of other countries. I am marrying an Irish man and it is important within our relationship to incorporate both traditions and cultures into our lives, and we will share this diffusion of values with our children. I will also make it a priority to read the news and update and increase my global knowledge and my global awareness. I will share my experience and knowledge with others and make it something that is important within my own family.

Globalization has made me even more aware of money and the importance of being stewards with the money we have been given and making the most of the country we have been born into. After reading this book I have been reminded of the numerous blessings I have received just by being born in this country. These blessings include an education, especially a higher education, numerous opportunities, clean water, computers, electricity, cars, money, and a job. I am literate. I have a house with a roof, shoes on my feet and clothes on my back. I not only have a fridge, but I also have food in it. I quite often take these blessings for granted. I feel as though we have an even bigger responsibility because of all the ways we have been blessed as a country.

America does have a tremendous role to play in today's globalization system, and I truly believe we have failed to live up to this challenge and this position in the global world. Too often I am quick to criticize and judge the United States, the government and their individualistic and unilateral decisions. Too often I am quick to judge the competitive and individualist culture that the United States seems to fester and create. Too often I am quick to judge our lack of global knowledge, our ignorance and arrogance, our lack of respect for elders and for family.

I am critical of my country because I agree with Friedman. I believe we do have a responsibility as a country to do something in order to better the system. In America, I feel as though people live their own lives, set apart from each other. They live their own individualistic lives that they are comfortable with and searching for knowledge of a world or a life outside their own is discomforting and takes us out of our fantasy world. We simply imagine everyone lives the way we do because it easier to think this way. I quite often see my own country as the enemy. And I often think if only…if only I lived somewhere else, then relationships and family would be valued. If only I lived somewhere else then they may value current affairs and the goings on in the world. If only I lived somewhere else they would be less time oriented and wouldn't live so much by the clock.

I have realized that instead of being so quick to judge and criticize, I should be quick to offer solutions and forms of change and transformation. Instead of criticizing everything, I should think of ways I can change this way of thinking for myself. Just because culturally elders are not respected, or culturally people in the states are not globally aware, or culturally people are more time oriented and less relationship oriented, does not mean I too have to fall into that cultural pattern. I can be different and people around me can be different. I will get involved with global issues, seeing as this is something I am passionate about, by volunteering with international organizations. I long to create awareness to international issues and bring a community together in order to learn about the issues and act upon them, and this is something I hope to do within my practicum.

No comments: