Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Productivity??

So I know I have been talking about deputation alot...but for some reason things get revealed to me at these meetings and the meetings seem to provoke much thought and discussion...so it was at another deputation meeting where the topic of productivity and effectiveness was broached. People were discussing their fears and someone mentioned that they feared their expectations would not be met, others mentioned their fear for a lack of team unity, and many mentioned their fear of not being productive and effective.

While listening to them my mind just started turning and reeling...and I truly started to have this inner dialog with myself and was thinking this could make for a blog entry. But when they said this...I just thought...what does it mean to be productive??..and what does it mean to be effective?...and when they use those two words together what does that mean? How would these students define those two words...and would the definitions vary per student?...does the definition vary per country, per culture, per generation?

And then I am reminded of how truly Western this all sounds...how truly Western this idea of productivity is...people feel the need to see results and to be EFFECTIVE, and I truly believe this idea of being effective is so different in other cultures and countries...each country and culture defines production in its own terms ...

what Does it truly mean to be productive in the United States?...does it mean you want to see the results after putting work into something...whether that means more money accumulating in your bank account after a hard years work...or if that means seeing the process and being a part of the process of building a house for a family, or a broken relationship reconciled? and what does it mean to be productive in other countries??...in Argentina?...Guatemala?..Mexico? Uganda?...Ireland?...

And why have we got so caught up with this whole idea of production? And why do people think that in order to be effective they must be productive? How do you even begin to separate the beliefs of your culture from your own individual beliefs, values and morals? it is so hard to even realize that they might actually be different..when all you see is your own country and your own culture.

And then I wonder...as a Christian...how am I called to view productivity and effectiveness? I do believe I am called to be productive with my faith and in my life ...but this productivity comes through service to others and an emphasis on relationships ....and with that you will then be effective in your life and intentional with your time and your relationships....just another something to ponder....how do you define productivity?...and is that definition being played out in your life??

No comments: