Tuesday, October 31, 2006



The Zahir...

So about these books that I have been reading…the book I just recently finished is called The Zahir and its by Paulo Coelho, and it was amazing…it really was…so for those of you who enjoyed the Alchemist, its by the same author…and has a similar theme throughout…a man is in search of his wife…in search of real joy and real happiness, not superficial joy or happiness…he is searching for a joy that will last forever, not something that is temporary…his books have such a spiritual thread throughout, I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t enjoy them..but then again they really make you think about things….

So some favorite quotes..

“free again, but it’s just a feeling; freedom is the absence of commitments, but the ability to choose – and commit myself to – what is best for me.” …this one got me thinking..what is freedom really??…

“All you have to do is to pay attention; lessons arrive when you are ready, and if you can read the signs, you will learn everything you need to know in order to take the next step.”

“we humans have two great problems: the first is knowing when to begin, the second is knowing when to stop.”

“absolutely, we just don’t all have the courage to follow our dreams and to follow the signs. Perhaps that’s where the sadness comes from.” ---a conversation between him and a young man…just got me thinking…why don’t we all have the courage? What weighs us down..changes our mind and our hearts?…responsibilities, families, children? Do we just decide we are satisfied with the life we are living and stop desiring for more or something different?…

“it is not life that matters, but the journey”

“and suddenly in the central nave ( of a cathedral), I realize something very important: the cathedral is me, it is all of us. We are all growing and changing shape, we notice certain weaknesses that need to be corrected, we don’t always choose the best solution, but we carry on regardless, trying to remain upright and decent, in order to do honor not to the walls or the doors or the windows, but to the empty space inside, the space where we worship and venerate what is dearest and most important to us.”

“the energy of hatred won’t get you anywhere; but the energy of forgiveness, which reveals itself through love, will transform your life in a positive way.”

“when I had nothing more to lose, I was given everything. When I ceased to be who I am, I found myself.” ---this is one of my favorites…its soo very true when you really think about it!!

“no one should ever ask themselves that: why am I unhappy? The question carries within it the virus that will destroy everything. If we ask that question, it means we want to find out what makes us happy. If what makes us happy is different from what we have now, then we must either change once and for all or stay as we are, feeling even more unhappy.” ---also one of my favorites…just sounds soo terrible doesn’t it?..but then you think…are you happy? What does it mean to be happy?….

“in my story, love was something that grew until it reached a certain size and, from then on, it was just a matter of keeping it alive, like a plant, watering it now and again and removing any dead leaves. ‘love’ was also a synonym for tenderness, security, prestige, comfort, success. ‘love’ could be translated into smiles, into words like ‘I love you’ or ‘I feel so happy when you come home’” --- so then it makes me think…how many marriages are like this??…how many people are truly happy in their marriages…

No comments: